This recipe for popcorn is way better than the colonel's version. In our humble opinion.
Homemade Popcorn Chicken
Fresh Chicken (light and dark meat) 1/2" cubed
All Purpose Flour
Salt and Pepper
1 TBSP Ground Dried Rosemary
1 TBSP Dried Thyme
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and mix well to evenly blend the ingredients.
2. A few pieces at a time, add the cubed chicken to the seasoned flour mix and toss them around to coat. (It can be helpful to have a fine meshed strainer on hand to add the coated chicken to and shake off any excess, to avoid clumps of flour)
3. Using a counter-top deep fryer, or a heavy sauce pot (with about 3" of canola oil. Please be careful using this method and always work with a proper deep-frying thermometer) set to 375F.
4. Add the seasoned and coated chicken to the pre-heated oil a few pieces at a time. Avoid over crowding the fryer as it will lower the temperature and the pieces will stick together and cook unevenly.
5. Cook the chicken for approximately 3 minutes. Testing with an instant read thermometer to an internal temperature of 165F, or by cutting one open to make sure the chicken is entirely cooked through.
6. Remove the cooked chicken, transfer to a paper towel lined plate AND season immediately (while the chicken is still hot) with salt and pepper.
7. Transfer to your serving bowl and serve as is, or with your favourite dipping sauce.